This post is a repeat of a post I made on my personal blog last summer, but I think it’s important enough to post again!
One beautiful day last summer, the kids and I headed over to my girlfriend’s house for a casual little playdate with a bunch of our mommy friends and kiddos. My friend had a slip & slide and some little wading pools set up in the backyard and we were all having a fine time, until Mallory got hurt! The kids had been playing on the jungle gym off and on, and Mallory decided to go down the slide. Evidently, the sun had really warmed up the slide since the last time she went down it, because it seriously burned her skin! We were shocked that she could get burned so badly! We ended up in Urgent Care having the burned cleaned out and dressed (which was horrible) and she had a bandaged, injured bottom for weeks. Here’s a portion of my original post:
I decided to put this out here as a warning to parents: PLEASE be careful and watch your children closely during these summer days! Their little delicate skin can get burned so easily by swings, slides – even swimming pool ladders. And this was NOT a metal slide; it was the plastic one that comes with the playset you buy at Sam’s Club. It was a fairly warm day – 85 degrees – but it was only 11 in the morning, and the kids had been playing on the slide just a half hour or so earlier.
You can read the rest of it right here if you want. I just wanted to put it out there, once again – beware of hot playground equipment in the summer! We had no idea our child could get a second degree burn from a plastic slide. It wasn’t a fun day for us! And a year later, Mallory still talks about it!
Learn from our mistake!