I learned yesterday (via twitter! because I don’t spend enough time on the internet!) that NOMOTC has declared April 2009 the first ever National Multiple Birth Awareness Month. With multiple birth rates rising, I think this is a positive step. Before I got pregnant with multiples, I thought things like:
* Great! One pregnancy, two babies!
* They’ll be best friends!
* Is secret twin language real? And why does no one ever talk about secret triplet language?
* You’re already breastfeeding one, just pop the other on.
Here’s what I didn’t know about the above:
* Yes it will be one pregnancy but it will be a high-risk pregnancy: higher miscarriage rates, higher mortality rates, higher maternal mortality rates, 50% prematurity rate for twins, higher incidence of post-partum depression, higher incidence of divorce… on and on.
* The fighting starts early!
* You will wish you had a dollar for every time someone asked you about twin language.
* Breastfeeding rates for multiples are very low.
What are you going to do to celebrate National Multiple Birth Awareness Month?