It’s time for a new school year in the US. Some of The Moms’ kids are going to school for the first time, while others are old hands at this. Some of us have kids in public elementary schools, while others are structuring in-home pre-schools or homeschooling older kids. All week we will be sharing posts old and new on Back to School. And if you haven’t already, please join us over on our HDYDI Facebook Page to continue the discussion.
Classroom Placement Thoughts
If you’re going to read one post on twins at school, please let it be Dr. Segal’s. She is a researcher and expert in twin matters, and her post is a thoughtful examination of the realities of multiples’ experiences at school.
- Guest Post: Separating Twins at School by Dr. Nancy Segal
- Law Lets Twins Stay Together (Krissy)
- Boston Globe Article on Separating Twins in School (Rebecca)
- Mid-(School) Year Review (Leslie H)
- Prematurity and School (Natasha Devalia)
- Back to School: Why I Kept My Twins Together (ThreeUnderTwo)
- A Tale of Two Classrooms (Goddess in Progress)
- Classroom Thoughts (CraftyLissa)
- Is it Labor Day yet? (Goddess in Progress)
- Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes (LeslieH)
Other School-Related Posts
- A Myriad of Multiples (Mercedes) One school has a remarkably high proportion of multiples.
- About School, Part 1 (Hanna) Hanna’s son is ready for school, but not the length of the school day.
- The GOOD ENOUGH Mother (Dr. Lisa Mazzio) It’s okay–good, even–for moms not to be perfect.
- Ask the Readers: How Do You Do It? (Jenna) How do you label your kids’ things for school?
- Daycare Passage (Sadia) Sadia and her kids say goodbye to their beloved daycare.
- Lazy Mama Preschool Tips (AmberD) When Amber’s oldest didn’t make it into Mothers’ Day Out, she came up with a preschool routine at home to balance her infant twins’ needs… and her own.
- The Preschool Process (Reanbean) Reanbean shares some excellent tips on selecting the right preschool for your family.
- Preschool, Food Allergies and IEP’s “OH MY”! (Laraplus2) Lara enters the uncharted waters of public school bureaucracy.
- Preschool at Home with Toddlers (Jen Wood) Jen tells us how she went about structuring preschool as a new SAHM.
- Prepping for Preschool (Reanbean) Introductory activities before the official start of pre-school are helping Reanbean’s more reserved son with the transition.
- Speech Delays and Multiples (Jenna) Speech delays are more common for multiples than singletons, for a variety of reasons.
Jen B‘s boys have had a pretty rotten time at school, with their teacher seeming not to see the value in being able to tell them apart.
- Separating Multiples in the Classroom
- Further Adventures in Twindergarten
- What Does It Matter…?
- Where My Belief That the Boys’ Speech Issues Will Resolve Themselves Leads Me to Consider Homeschooling Once More
- I Take My School-Related Concerns to the Next Level
- Ranting Update on My Evolving Feelings About the Boys’ Teachers
- Doubling My Pleasure at School, Take Two
- Where My Twins’ IQ Test Results Throw Me Into a Tizzy
It wasn’t all bad, though.
Sadia‘s kids have had more than their share of excitement related to school placement.
- Preparing for Kindergarten, Double-Quick
- Classroom Placement: Part I – Separate Classrooms
- Classroom Placement: Part II – Separate Grades
- Classroom Placement: An Update
- Classroom Placement: Part III – Full Circle
- Grade Placement Blues 2012, Part I
- Grade Placement Blues 2012, Part II
- The Unending Question of Classroom Placement
She’s also captured other moments in J and M’s experience at school.
- What Makes Her Special
- “I Had No Idea She Had a Sister”
- Sneak Previews at School
- Birthday Party Quandary
- Teacher Gifts
- I Know I Can’t Be Objective
- Home Economics
- The Soda Culture
- Teach a Child to Grocery Shop…
- After-School Together Time
- MLK Day Is More Than a Day Off
- Saving the Bad Behaviour … For You
Are your kids headed back to school? How’s it going?