The other day I was going through the baby blanket boxes. Boxes. Plural. We have several boxes of baby blankets. And we only really use 6 blankets total. Each child (I have 3) has one at day care for naps. And each has one for sleeping at home. And that is it. 6 blankets, with 2 more boxes of blankets. Occasionally they play with one, but really, most of these blankets are simply sitting, peacefully, in boxes. A few of these blankets are really nice and I decided it was time to use them.
Side story. When my husband and I got married we got a long sofa and a chair and a half for our living room. It is still super comfy and we like the color, a brick red, but I am getting a bit tired of the color. The pillows all match. A brick red sofa and a brick red chair and 6 brick red throw pillows. I am getting tired of the monotony really.
And that is where I had my Ah Ha moment! I am tired of all the monotony and I want to do something with these baby blankets. Blankets + Pillows = less monotony!
This is what I started with. One brick red sofa pillow and one pretty purple striped baby blanket a former student made me when I had my first baby. I also started with some trepidation. This is a hand knit blanket, and there was a degree of fear in this project because I did not want to ruin it. But I also did not want to leave this blanket in the box anymore.
So I brought the blanket up to my “sewing room”, which to the outside world is a window seat.
Test run, will this work? Will it look ok?
So I bit the bullet and started pinning and sewing. Pinning was a nightmare. I could not keep the pins in place. And I really had to stuff this blanket under the sewing machines presser foot. but eventually I got a system that worked. I call it, quite technically, as “stuff and pull”. My student had edged the blanket with a pretty seam, so I used that as my guide. I wanted to be able to see the seam, so I sewed just inside the edging, up both sides. I literally had to stuff it under the presser foot and pull it. For anyone trying this at home, be careful with that presser foot, a few times it got caught on the knitting and I had to sew backwards to get it out. But in the end it worked.
I stuffed in the previously boring brick red pillow and it came out perfectly!
The back was a bit of an issue, but I decided to sew the opening shut the same way I did the sides.
My lovely assistant/the original blanket recipient
Right now this pillow is sitting on the chair and a half in my living room. I have a few more hand knit blankets that might also become pillow covers. But more, I have a way to showcase a really lovely baby gift. The twins are 22 months old and into everything, so more and more, I find myself throwing away/putting away/hiding so many things. I really like that instead of hiding this away, it is now something that we can all enjoy.
Beth is known as mommy by a 5 year old and boy-girl 22 month old twins. She blogs about life, kids, and DIY, at Pickles in my Tea and in my Soup.