Happy New Year to everyone in the HDYDI community! Have you made New Year resolutions?
(Please forgive this post being one day late for the new year. I was making lunch for my girls on New Year’s Eve while working from home. The knife slipped and I ended up needed some minor sutures. The Urgent Care doc banned me from manual tasks, including typing, for a couple of days. I’m glad to report that I’m altogether free of pain now, except for the pain of embarrassment.)
I don’t generally make New Year’s resolutions. My commitment to a two-week balance of my priorities has generally kept me in a place where I’m deeply joyful with the state of my life. I haven’t had a need to make a major life shift at my entry into the new year. Instead, I adjust as I go, regardless of the date on the calendar.
However, I started a new job in August, just as my daughters were starting fourth grade. My dear friend Jen offered to watch my girls after school. I took on the leadership of our Girl Scout troop and joined the leadership of our school district’s parent council for Gifted and Talented services. In the midst of all this change, I didn’t take the time to realign my priorities.
I finally get the point of New Year’s Resolutions. January 1 serves as a reminder to rethink the balance.
So now, here’s my newly ordered priority list. Each item on the list will need some time and focus, if not daily, at least every 2 weeks.
- The kids’ immediate well-being.
- Intellectual stimulation.
- Social stimulation.
- The kids’ long-term well-being. Are they on a path to being healthy, happy, wholesome, productive adults?
- School performance and enjoyment.
- Spiritual nourishment and church.
- Maintaining positive relationships.
- Socially appropriate interactions.
- My job and my immediate co-workers and customers
- My mental and physical health (including getting sleep)
- Housekeeping and home maintenance
- Community leadership
- Girl Scouts
- How Do You Do It?
- Multiples of America
- Gifted and Talented council
- Community participation
- How Do You Do It?
I know this system works for me. Starting at the inception of 2016, I resolve to get back to it, with my priorities where they need to be at this moment in our family’s development. I’m going to return to balance.
What are you doing this year to reprioritize?